Sean M. King
President & Managing Director
P: + 1 919 757 4816
Sean King is a renowned legal, tax and business advisor who brings to his clients not only technical expertise, but also a cultural and commercial awareness that can only be gained by living and working in numerous countries and on multiple continents. For nearly twenty years, Sean has been counseling organizations ranging from emerging growth companies to one of the world’s largest private equity firms with more than US$40 billion under management.
In addition to his firm leadership responsibilities, Sean’s globally recognized practice focuses on international corporate structuring for both the outbound operations of U.S. multinationals and the inbound operations of foreign multinationals. This includes advice on structuring cross-border ventures, mergers and acquisitions, supply chain management, cross-border financing, and transfer pricing matters, including the international licensing of intellectual property. Sean has completed transactions in more than 75 countries and has been included in The International Who's Who of Corporate Tax Lawyers.
Sean is the author of multiple publications on international taxation and is a widely known speaker on the cross-border structuring of investments. In this capacity, Sean has been asked to speak worldwide for numerous Fortune 100 audiences.
He received his master of laws degree in taxation, magna cum laude, from the Chicago-Kent School of Law. He received his juris doctor degree, cum laude, from Michigan State University College of Law and his bachelor of arts degree from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor.
Sean is a member of the State Bar of Michigan and is admitted to practice before the U.S. Tax Court. He is also a member of the North Carolina Bar Association where he has served as Vice-Chair of the International Law Section.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law; (LL.M.); magna cum laude
- Michigan State University College of Law; (J.D.); cum laude
- University of Michigan; (B.A.)
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- World Trade Association, Triangle Chapter
- Bloomberg BNA
Awards and Honors
- The International Who's Who of Corporate Tax Lawyers
- NCACPA's Outstanding Conference Speaker Award
Recent Client Transactions
- Represented portfolio company of a private equity firm having more than US$40 billion under management to structure and effectuate a partial monetization of the portfolio business for $1.2 billion
- Company counsel for Marriott in connection with its multi-billion dollar acquisition of Starwood
- Company counsel in the structuring and negotiation of the acquisition of a series of worldwide pharmaceutical distribution rights from a large pharmaceutical company on behalf of a U.S.-based buyer with operations in Asia, the United States and Europe
- Company advisor to a U.S.-based multinational on certain aspects of a $200 million reorganization transaction
- Company counsel in $10 million roll-up acquisition of (five affiliated entities) companies in the telecom services industry
- Company counsel for a publicly-listed foreign refinery on a $55 million private equity raise
- Company counsel in connection with the pursuit and procurement of a Middle Eastern technology government contract valued at $20 million per annum
- Company “diligence” counsel in connection with a $100 million financing by a foreign investor with capital sources in four different jurisdictions
- International deal counsel for large Southeast Asian conglomerate with interests in energy, textiles and manufacturing
- Company counsel in multiple large scale agreement negotiations with notable global companies such as: GE Financial, L’Oreal, Merck, Novartis, Amazon, Johnson & Johnson, The Body Shop, Lenovo, Samsung, Huawei, and Fosun